To ensure normal operation, Equinix have set a list of restrictions on what kind of traffic is allowed on the fabric.
In the public VLAN, the member must use only the IPv4 and IPv6 addresses assigned by Equinix for its port. Using IP adress of other member or unassigned IP adress is strictly forbidden.
The public LAN prefix must not be announced in BGP.
All frames forwarded must have one of the following Ethertypes:
- 0x0800 - IPv4
- 0x0806 - ARP
- 0x86dd - IPv6
In the public VLAN, only one MAC address is allowed per port.
LLC/SNAP encapsulation (802.2) is not allowed.
Proxy ARP is not allowed.
Traffic for link-local protocols shall not be forwarded.
The following link-local protocols but are not limited to, are not allowed:
- ICMP redirects
- IEEE 802 Spanning Tree
- Vendor proprietary protocols. These include, but are not limited to:
- Discovery protocols: CDP, EDP
- VLAN/trunking protocols: VTP, DTP
- Interior routing protocol broadcasts (e.g. OSPF, ISIS, IGRP, EIGRP)
- ICMPv6 ND-RA
- L2 Keepalives
The following link-local protocols are exceptions and are allowed:
- IPv6 ND
Only unicast traffic is allowed.
Frames forwarded must not be addressed to a multicast or broadcast MAC destination address except as follows:
- broadcast ARP packets
- multicast ICMPv6 Neighbour Discovery packets. This DOES NOT include Router Discovery packets
All routes exchange must be done by using BGP4+ protocol.